An introduction to all natural bread baking with sourdough
|Date:||Sunday, June 27, 2021|
|Time:||10:00 AM to 2:00 PM|
|Level:||Beginner, min 4, max. 8 participants|
|Location:||Brot Bakehouse School and Kitchen, 38 Meade Rd., Fairfax, Vermont|
Join us for our popular introductory bread baking class where you will learn all about baking with sourdough culture.
In this class we cover the fundamentals of sourdough alchemy in bread making, incl. making your own culture, proper mixing, shaping and finally baking a simple yet delicious sourdough bread.
We will talk about the difference between naturally leavened bread vs. bread made with commercial yeast, proper flour and grain selection and most importantly how to start and maintain a live culture (sourdough) and keep it happy and alive in your home for many bakes to come.
Making completely natural bread with sourdough may look daunting - and yes, it will take some planning and knowledge, but it does not have to be complicated. You don't even need a mixer, it's all made by hand. All you need is a basic understanding of wild yeasts and microorganism and you can start your bread making adventure.
The class is designed as an introduction to sourdough baking techniques and you will get a ripe sourdough culture and recipes to take home, so you can start making bread right away in your home.
Even if you are a total beginner when it comes to bread baking - come curious and leave inspired by wild yeasts and their magic! The class finishes with a sensory bread tasting with different breads and local condiments and everybody will get to shape and bake their own bread.
What we will do:
- learn the basics of sourdough fermentation
- mix and shape a simple country bread together
- bake your bread in a wood fired oven
- have an extensive Q&A session and a sensory bread tasting at the end of the class
What we will not do:
- make 5 different breads in one afternoon so you can't even keep track
- just give you the recipes without explaining the science behind it (yes, this is science!)
- doing the work for you (it's a hands-on class!)
Come join us for a day of exploration and getting-your-hands-in-the-dough. You will surely walk away inspired to continue the sourdough adventure at home.
Please be aware of our class & cancellation policy:
- Full Payment is due upon registering for a class. We understand that there will be circumstances whereby you will need to cancel your course or change the date. Given one week or more notice we are happy to offer a full refund.
- If we need to postpone or cancel a class either a full refund will be given, or you can use your payment as a credit towards any future class.
- If you need to cancel last minute - one week or less of the class date - a full refund minus Eventbrite fees (6% of ticket price) will be offered if we can refill your booking. Otherwise a 50% refund will be issued.
- If you need to cancel 24 hours before class no refund can be issued.
COVID-19 Pandemic Notes:
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic participants we will practice social distancing during all our classes. This means that classes can be held fully or partially outside and/or participants may be required to wear face coverings at all times during the event. We will continue to follow the guidelines of the Vermont Department of Health when holding our classes. Participants from out-of-state should be aware of the current quarantine requirements when traveling to Vermont. Classes can be re-scheduled or canceled and will be fully refunded should this be necessary.