Sunday, July 14, 2019 from 11 am to 3:30 pm at Brot Bakehouse School and Kitchen, Fairfax, Vermont
Level: Beginner to Intermediate (some bread baking experience is helpful for this class)
Costs: $125 per person early bird (until June 1), $130 after June 1
Min. 4 / Max. 8 participants
This class is an in-depth journey into the world of rye, whole grain and sprouted breads and their traditions. Learn how to work with some underappreciated grains and taste breads and pastries that are surprisingly versatile and delicious! We will not only learn how to bake traditional rye breads with a natural sourdough culture which we will "feed" and work with in class, but also take a closer look at some rare breads like:
- German Pumpernickel /classic "Schwarzbrot"
- Sprouted Bread with Seeds and Nuts
- Vinschgauer Rye (Northern Italian specialty)
- Rye Biscuits with Sourdough
- exploring Russian & Scandinavian, German and American rye bread traditions...
Rye requires a different baking technique than wheat and it's cousins and we will explore these techniques while learning about its unique chemistry. You will become familiar with some of the centuries-old techniques Europe’s master bakers developed to work with this unique grain.
We also talk about the history of rye baking and how techniques have changes over the years to be able to better work with local grains and freshly milled grains and take a close look at sourdough alchemy and sprouting techniques. Finally we bring all this together to incorporate techniques and the knowledge we gained into recipes.
Join us for this intensive rye / whole grain immersion class which we only hold a few times a year.
Please be aware of our cancellation policy:
- Full Payment is due upon registering for a class. We understand that there will be circumstances whereby you will need to cancel your course or change the date. Given two weeks or more notice we are happy to offer a full refund.
- If we need to postpone or cancel a class either a full refund minus Eventbrite fees (6% of ticket price) will be given, or you can use your payment as a credit towards any future class.
- If you need to cancel last minute - one week or less of the class date - a full refund minus Eventbrite fees (6% of ticket price) will be offered if we can refill your booking. Otherwise no refund will be issued.