Sunday, March 10, 2018 from 11 am to 3:30 pm at Brot Bakehouse School and Kitchen, Fairfax, Vermont
Level: Beginner to Intermediate (some bread baking experience is helpful for this class)
Costs: $120 per person
Min. 4 / Max. 8 participants
This class is an in-depth journey into the world of rye breads and their traditions. Learn how to work with an underapprciated grain that is surprisingly versatile and delicous - we will learn how to bake traditional rye breads with a natural sourdough culture, which we will "feed" and work with in class. During this class will take a closer look at some classic and some rare rye breads like:
- German Pumpernickel /classic "Schwarzbrot"
- Sprouted Bread with Seeds and Nuts
- Vinschgauer Rye (Northern Italian specialty)
- Rye Biscuits with Sourdough
- exploring Russian & Scandinavian, German and American rye bread traditions...
- ...and a bread that can be chosen by the participants
Explore rye’s unique chemistry and become familiar with some of the centuries-old techniques Europe’s master bakers developed to work with this unique grain. We also learn about the history of rye baking and how techniques have changes over the years to better work with local grains and freshly milled grains. We also take a close look at sourdough alchemy and sprouting techniques - and how to incorporate these into your recipes.